Sunday, March 11, 2012

Developing Your Personal GAME Plan

Teachers are often self-directed learners…
We create lessons plans (Goals)
We teach lesson plans (Actions)
We monitor student learning (Monitor)
We evaluate student progress and teacher effectiveness (Evaluate)
After examining http://www.iste.org/ and the NETS-T, I chose to focus on number two…
2. Design and Develop Digital Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessment incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS·S.

My goals are to design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity and also to provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching.

The action that I plan to take is to search for research-based lessons using technology tools to help give me some ideas of how I can better use the technology tools that I have in my classroom with my students.  I also would like to become more fluent on our iRespond to use with my students for assessment and data collection. 

I will monitor my progress by making sure that at least once a week I designing, developing, and evaluating authentic learning experiences and trying something new and different each week with my students, whether it’s a lesson or a type of assessment.  (This I feel is the hardest part of the GAME plan.  I’m not sure how I should monitor myself and would love feedback or ideas for this.)

I can evaluate my progress by making sure that my students are still learning the content and by looking closely as student data from assessments.  I could also ask for a peer or administrator to observe me using technology tools in a lesson to evaluate my effectiveness and offer me feedback for growing more as an educator.

http://www.iste.org/

4 comments:

  1. It’s important that students are provided with meaningful and engaging assessments to determine the progress in the curriculum. Personally, I try to use various form of technology to assess my student learning. Using technology to assess students learning gives teachers and students instant feedback. I use active votes which I assume are the same as Irespond. My students really enjoy using activities involving the votes. They get the instant feedback after each question and I’m able to clarify any misunderstanding, and determine which concept(S) need to be retaught. My school has several online programs that I used to assess my students. Here is the list: Study Island, Coach Connected, and Links to Learning. We have others but they are state base websites. I prefer StudyIsand because teacher can modify assignments to meet student needs. Last summer, I used the program called Mytestbook it’s a free site that has online assessments. http://mytestbook.com/ . The only problem with the site is sometime it loads very slowly, but it could just be my school’s internet service. Hope you can find some of my resources useful. By the way this is another free site I use http://softschools.com/ http://www.schooltimegames.com/

    A.Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your iRespond sounds interesting. How do you plan on using it in the classroom? We use whiteboards for every student responding. I would love to use Stenteo for the Smart Board. It is a device that you can have students vote for an answer. Any software we put in our students hand is for their learning and benefit. Technology supports thinking process, stimulates and motivates students while preparing them for the future. Researchers have argued that technology has the potential to dramatically change the way in which our schools are structured and helps us rethink the way we use physical classrooms and teaching resources (Collins, 1990; Newman, 1990). It is an exciting time to be in education with the potential we have. We as educators need to stay on top of the technology out there so we can help the students who come to use as digital natives.

    One way you can monitor yourself is by being accountable with a trusted colleague. Remember we are all in this game together. I find myself accomplishing a goal if I have someone who I trust looking out for me and helping me in my goal. Best wishes!

    Two great websites.
    http://exchange.smarttech.com/#tab=0
    http://www.district87.org/staff/powelln/SmartBoard/Default.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. At a conference that I attended last weekend, I learned about using an assessment tool that instantly lets you see results on questions you have asked students. This particular program allowed for students to change their response, which was something new to me. Using the assessment tool that my school currently utilizes, this was unheard of. You would ask a question, students input their answer, then you check to see the response and move on to the next question. Instead of moving on to the next question, you are to have the students discuss why they chose the answers that they selected and then reassess the students on the exact same question. The teacher does not give any input at all during this time. The presenter stated that there was in increase in the correct response when the students were asked the same question again. The presenter stated that there was a study done at a major university (I forgot the name of which one it was, sorry) that consistently showed improvement in students' critical thinking due to this process. So, maybe you can think of using your iResponders in this fashion. You could keep track of the increase of correct responses to see if the students are learning from each other.

    I have the presenter's PowerPoint presentation, if you would like to take a look at her research and findings.

    Marisa Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evaluating data will be a vital component throughout the process of your plan. Technology offers alternative ways to assess student achievement beyond traditional methods of paper and pencil. Our school uses STAR. (Standardized Test for the Assessment of Reading) This computer-adaptive assessment created by Renaissance Learning has proven to be an effective means of identifying reading comprehension literacy skills as early as 1st grade. Results are immediately available upon completion of the assessment. Educators can use this data to identify and modify their lessons accordingly. A comparison of students' abilities to the national norm can be used strategically PLCs, grade level and School Improvement Team meentings.

    Cathy B.

    http://www.renlearn.com/sr/

    ReplyDelete